Impossible Foods is out to tackle the biggest sustainability challenge we face today: the use of animals for food. It’s safe to say that we think about sustainability a lot.
When designing the packaging for our products, we focus on four factors:
- Protection from food waste (which has an enormous environmental impact)
- Use of post-consumer recycled content (diverting materials from the landfill)
- Dematerialization (making the most out of the least amount of packaging)
- Materials selection (prioritizing curbside recyclable rigid plastics and sourcing 100% Sustainable Forest Initiative–certified paper-based packaging)
We also incorporate recyclable materials into our packaging wherever possible.
That said, when measured by the amount of resources required to produce them, the environmental footprint of food products is far bigger than that of packaging. We’ve got you covered there, too. Compared to their animal-based counterparts, Impossible™ products require:
- 79–87% less water
- 41–96% less land
- 71–89% fewer greenhouse gas emissions